U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and other U.S. personnel murdered in Benghazi, Libya
“To this day, some militia leaders offer alibis for Mr. Abu Khattala [the perpetrator of the attacks and deaths of U.S. personnel]. All resist quiet American pressure to turn him over to face prosecution. Last spring, one of Libya’s most influential militia leaders sought to make him a kind of local judge.” A Deadly Mix in Benghazi By David D. Kirkpatrick, New York Times, Dec 28
This is the thanks the United States gets from the beneficiaries of the Libyan revolution, the extremist, often Al Qaeda aligned military movement that the U.S. and NATO dragged across the finish line to achieve their goal of regime change in Libya – the removal of Gaddafi. The thugs in charge of Benghazi won’t even allow the arrest of the individual identified as the culprit in the deaths of Ambassador Stevens and other U.S. personnel. That, in itself, is a profound lesson about any form of military intervention and the good it does us, as a people.
The New York Times published an extensive, novella-like investigative report on the 2012 incident in Benghazi, Libya. When reading the report, it is useful to recall the following:
- Benghazi, a major port city of 650,000 on the border with Egypt, was the point of origin for the attack on the Gaddafi government.
- Pose revolution research published recently by the Belfer Center at Harvard revealed the following: “Libya’s 2011 uprising was never peaceful, but instead was armed and violent from the start. Muammar al-Qaddafi did not target civilians or resort to indiscriminate force. NATO’s action magnified the conflict’s duration about sixfold and its death toll at least sevenfold, while also exacerbating human rights abuses, humanitarian suffering, Islamic radicalism, and weapons proliferation in Libya and its neighbors.” Alan Kuberman, September 2013 Read More
WaPo on the internal response to Mittens’ hasty, ill-conceived late night Libya presser:
By sunrise the next day, it was clear to Romney that they had acted too quickly. The campaign learned that four Americans had been killed in an attack on a U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, including Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens. Even to some Republicans, Romney’s hasty statement looked insensitive.
“We screwed up, guys,” Romney told aides on a conference call that morning, according to multiple people on the call. “This is not good.”
His advisers told him that, if he took back his statement, the neoconservative wing of the party would “take his head off.”He stood by it during an appearance in Florida. Two days later, Obama traveled to Joint Base Andrews to meet the four flag-draped coffins.
Related: “[W]hen you crunch the numbers, the truth is that foreign policy didn’t matter much in ushering Barack Obama to reelection in 2012″ (h/t Michelle Shephard)
AP, October 9
Washington – The State Department said Tuesday it never concluded that the consulate attack in Libya stemmed from protests over an American-made video ridiculing Islam, raising further questions about why the Obama administration used that explanation for more than a week after assailants killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.
The revelation came as new documents suggested internal disagreement over appropriate levels of security before the attack, which occurred on the 11th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks on the U.S.
Briefing reporters ahead of a hotly anticipated congressional hearing Wednesday, State Department officials provided their most detailed rundown of how a peaceful day in Benghazi devolved into a sustained attack that involved multiple groups of men armed with weapons such as machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars over an expanse of more than a mile.
But asked about the administration’s initial – and since retracted – explanation linking the violence to protests over an anti-Muslim video circulating on the Internet, one official said, “That was not our conclusion.” He called it a question for “others” to answer, without specifying. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly on the matter, and provided no evidence that might suggest a case of spontaneous violence or angry protests that went too far.
Intelligence agencies are assembling dossiers in what officials describe as a first step toward bringing the killers of four Americans in Libya to justice.
Los Angeles Times, By David S. Cloud & Ken Dilanian, October 2
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon, CIA and other U.S. intelligence agencies are assembling dossiers on suspects in the assault on the U.S. Consulate in eastern Libya that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans, a first step toward fulfilling President Obama‘s vow to bring the killers to justice, U.S. officials said.
The Pentagon’s Joint Special Operations Command and intelligence agencies “are starting to look at people who might have been involved and starting to tee up options,” a U.S. official said.
The so-called target packages summarize the intelligence that links individuals to the Sept. 11 armed attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission and annex in Benghazi, two Defense officials said. Read More