E Timor PM refuses to step down
East Timor’s PM Mari Alkatiri has told the BBC he will not resign, despite being blamed for not ending the unrest which has paralysed the capital Dili.
Mr Alkatiri also disputed whether President Xanana Gusmao, who announced emergency rule on Tuesday, was now in sole charge of the country’s security.
Dili was calmer on Wednesday, though some arson and fighting continued.
Fifteen major aid donors to East Timor, including foreign governments, urged rival groups to stop their feuding.
Mr Alkatiri has been blamed by other members of the government for failing to stop the violence, which was triggered by his decision to sack of hundreds of troops after they went on strike.
* In Pictures ~ BBC
* How to end crisis: Timor rebel chief speaks out ~ The Age.au
* NZ troops arrive in East Timor ~ TVNZ.nz
* Unrest in East Timor hinders aid ~ Sapa & AFP
* Country profile: East Timor ~ BBC
* Behind The Chaos and Picture Gallery, ~ Herald Sun.au
all links add by moi